4/27/2008

Go through the motions

昨天上課時 班上的同學用了一個很不錯的慣用語 (idiom) --go through the motions.

按照字典的解釋
"go through the motions" means "to do something because you are expected to do it and not because you want to" as well as "to do something without believing it is important." (The Free Dictionary)
中文解釋是「裝出...的樣子;敷衍了事」(建宏英漢字典)

例如:After his wife died, he went through the motions of living, without feeling much of anything. (在他喪妻後,他一直假裝活著,對所有事情都沒啥感受。) (The Free Dictionary)

當時我還沒有學到這慣用語,所以在更改同學的造句時有些錯,在此我要重新申明正確的用法。

"For these two years I've been going through the motions of enjoying the relationship with my girlfriend whenever we go for a date."

翻譯:這兩年來,每當我跟女友約會時,我都裝作一副很享受這段關係的樣子。

在此更正上課時的謬誤,也歡迎其它批評指教。

3 則留言:

匿名 提到...

hi teacher this is megamn

i find ur blog~~

start of three days ago i use my blog in english~~

http://www.wretch.cc/blog/megan810516

this is my website

see u around ~~

匿名 提到...

Dear Megan

I'm so glad you share your blog with me. It's so good!
I'll spend more time checking it out!
Keep writing in English and you'll be better and better.

Joe

匿名 提到...

正愁going through the motions of living是什麼意思,還好看到您的文章,感謝!不知在這例句裡譯成"行屍走肉"行不行?